Friday, March 5, 2010

Healthcare-Get off my back!!

I have been reading for awhile now various articles and discussions regarding healthcare reform. I have also been in classes where my professors have extolled their dubious opinions on the subject ad litem. I have also endured the countless rants by various well intention friends who like myself have their own perspectives on the subject. And what I want to see to all is get off my back! The seniors in my life have run for the hills because there is a black man in office so instead of facing their own bigotted views and looking rationally at the future and present situations they vote, comment, and blindly follow ideals that contradict everything they practiced and preached to me as a child and young adult.

These are people I admire, respect, and love, but alas I fear the first two are all but gone from my purview. I cannot respect someone that teaches me all are equal and deserving then act as if one group is better than another by denying the other they equal duty. I cannot admire someone that saved us during WWII, but won't continue the freedoms ensured by them through their valiant efforts by saying everyone is not equal in the eyes of the law, god, and constitution. Why? I don't understand the logic. Maybe it is because it's not logic but emotional rule? I do not know.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me how someone that is given medicare at a lower cost than I get my benefits now which I could loose if I become unemployed, deny me the right to have health coverage that I pay for them to have? Where is the equality in that? If we are suppose to take care of our own why aren't we? Why am I required to pay for benefits that are being bankrupted out before I will ever get a chance to use them? I have tried for a while now to figure out what is the best solution to the problem, and I have come up with two of them.

The first is get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, any kind of public assistance. Everyone is on their own! Sink or swim. Do or Die (literally)! Not a really positive turn to take, but according to most Republicans the most practical for most businesses (not). The second is still get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, and give everyone a equal cost effective access to basic benefits. If you want more coverage, then you buy at your expense. As for myself I prefer option 2. It alleviates a burden that most of feel especially in today's economy when jobs are scarce, unemployment is constant, and there is no guarantee of when the next job may come along.

The next issue is payment for such a plan. This too is fairly straight forward. If you remove medicare and medicaid, stop paying farmers to not farm, reckless science experiments are stopped or atleast no longer funded by us, but most of all make sure that no budget is passed unless it is balanced and is paying off debt.

I realize I do not have all the answers, but the ones that are being negotiated do not make sense, and only seem to have a few us in mind. We are not a country of a few people, we are country of MANY! We need to remember that when we cast our votes and lift our voices to be counted.

No comments: